Skip to main content

The Mall Culture Of Dubai

Dubai with its multiple high rise buildings is also home to several malls.All malls in Dubai have pretty much the same outlets but the expanse of the malls took me by surprise.Being an Indian the concept of a mall for me just meant a symmetrical building which houses several outlets that give provide ladies with their much required doze of retail therapy, food kiosks, few recreational activities to keep the kids busy and also the cinemas. But when I entered the malls in Dubai I was mesmerized by how different and rather unusual they looked.It was like entering a different world all together.The architectural magnificence of the structures,the number of stores,the type of shops,the various kinds of entertainment modes available,the kind of food,the myriad of people EVERYTHING absolutely everything was stunning beyond words.For a person with no stamina and no appetite for window shopping(or even actual shopping) any mall in Dubai would be a big no-no.But for someone like me who is willing to explore and not to forget shop walking in and out of the malls was like cake walk,literally,One needs to spend at the least an entire day to cover the length and breadth of any particular mall.
My favourite mall happened to be the Madinat Jumeirah Mall.It was a mall cum hotel resort.It was built spectacularly.It looked like a set right out of an Aladdin movie except there was no magic carpet to fly us around.There was a small lake inside the mall and it had small boats called Abras to ferry people around.There was also a string of restaurants that managed to suit every individuals taste buds ranging from Japanese to continental to Indian and so on.

The shoes in the picture below are called "mojdis" and I loved how colourful they all looked and hence caught my eye.

 I'm assuming these are stands to hold incense sticks or maybe just mere show pieces.

The water/amusement park Wild Wadi was also in the premises of the Madinat Jumeirah.
This particular mall had an old world charm to it.There were several small stalls selling various Arabic artifacts and souvenirs including the very popular Shisha(hookah as we know it) stands.We would also get a lovely view of the Burj-Al-Arab.
This is how the Shisha looks.quite impressive huh?

The Dubai Mall is the largest shopping mall in the world with respect to the area..The two most prominent features of this mall are the Dubai Aquarium and the Underwater Zoo and also the Ice Rink..The transparency of the aquarium gives the visitors a view of its 33,000 marine animals on display.
The Dubai Mall contains more than 1,200 shops and is anchored by Galeries LafayetteDebenhamsBloomingdale's, and Marks & Spencer.
And for candy lovers it has the super huge candy store called Candilicious.I absolutely adore that store.When I had been to Singapore we picked up lots of candies and chocolates from there ..
This time around too be picked up small packets of my favourite Reese's peanut butter chocolate.This store is yummilicious indeed ! Well I'm falling short of words so I'm kind of trying to make up a few.


The famous Dubai Fountain is also present in the premises of the Dubai Mall adjacent to the Burj Khalifa.
The fountain show takes place everyday after 7:00 pm.The illumination of the fountain is simply brilliant.The fountain is animated with performances set to light and music. It is visible from every point on the lake promenade and from many neighbouring structures. 
The Burj Khalifa too looks thoroughly spectacular when lit up with lights.There lies its true beauty.

                                       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel Post #5 : 10 BALINESE DELIGHTS TO STIMULATE YOUR TASTE BUDS

Bali is an Indonesian island known for its pristine beaches , beautiful temples and street food. There are a host of Indonesian delicacies that one would come across while walking along any road in this beautiful island. The food they serve in these small eateries ( “Warungs”) looks tempting and is too difficult to resist. Since the Indonesian Rupaiah runs in lakhs don’t be surprised if you are asked to pay up two lakh rupees for a simple dish. On my recent trip to Bali I ended up gorging on authentic Balinese/Indonesian cuisine ; right from street vendors to fancy hotels. The best part is they customize their non-veg dishes to suit the vegetarian palate too. Here are a few items that I devoured on the trip and absolutely loved. 1) Bakso This is a traditional Indonesian delicacy and one of the most popular ones. You will find plenty of street vendors selling Bakso along the streets of Bali. It is an eclectic mix of  tangy,spicy soup, meat balls, wontons, tofu and noodles. The

Soya Chunks Broccoli Curry | Soya Chunks Curry Recipe | Indian Recipe

Soya Chunks  Broccoli Curry  | Soya Chunks Curry Recipe | Indian Recipe I attribute my varied palate to my Appa and Amma and no one else. Although South-Indian, growing up I was exposed to so many cuisines and I am not talking about, "just in restaurants". I am talking about "in Amma's kitchen". She wasn't just the Idli-Dosa kinda mom. She always ensured that she cooked up a different storm in the kitchen everyday and for that, I cannot be more thankful. Way before this whole "vegan" thing came into existence, she introduced me to Soya Chunks. We did eat non-veg at home but not everyday. That's when the humble Soya Chunks/ Soya Nuggets come to the rescue. The texture and taste (according to me) are nothing when compared to chicken but there is something about these nuggets that strike a chord with my palate.  Soya chunks especially when cooked in a curry form absorb water and spices. You take one bite and you realize ho

A New Blogger

Well,my last blog was in 2008 and it might be a little stupid and a little immature.Blogging seems to be a fun hobby since it involves lot of writing which can range from total crappy to super interesting.I'm still thinking where I should start off and it will take me some time to come up with some topic I would actually LOVE talking bout! :) Till then TOODLES :D