Skip to main content

Methi Rice Recipe | Methi Pulao Recipe | Fenugreek Rice Recipe

Methi Rice/Methi Pulao was a huge part of my life while growing up. I remember it as one of the many fragrant rice items that my Amma packed in my lunch box, for school. For me, Methi has a distinct aromatic smell, that is definitely enticing. Now since I'm away from home and do not have the luxury of having Amma cook Methi Rice/Methi Pulao for me every now and then, I've learned to make it myself. Definitely, the Methi Rice/ Methi Pulao that I prepare doesn't taste as good as hers but I am trying and will continue to try. 

Methi Rice Recipe | Methi Pulao Recipe | Fenugreek Rice Recipe | Indian Recipes


In this recipe I'll take you through a step-by-step guide on how to cook up simple,healthy and super delicious methi pulao/methi rice.

In this case, one needs to make some preparations before actually going ahead and cooking the methi pulao/methi rice.
The methi leaves need to be thoroughly washed. As you know the methi leaves have a bitter taste and we need to get rid of this before we start cooking the methi pulao/methi rice.

PREPARATIONS FOR METHI PULAO/METHI RICE

  • Use fresh methi leaves
  • Cut the stem and keep only the leaves aside
  • Wash the leaves in running water
  • Keep aside
  • Add salt to the leaves and let it dry for 10-15 minutes (This is so that the Methi leaves loose their bitterness)
  • Wash and soak rice grains in water for about 30 minutes
  • Semi cook the rice in a pressure cooker, pan or in the microwave
  • Keep aside to be used for the methi pulao/methi rice

WHAT YOU NEED FOR METHI PULAO/METHI RICE 

  • 1 cup basmati rice soaked 30 minutes and semi-cooked
  • 1.5 tbsp ghee / clarified butter (tbsp = tablespoon)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera (tsp= teaspoon)
  • 1.bay leaf / tej patta
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 2-3 star anise
  • 1-2 cinnamon stick / dalchini
  • 4 cloves / lavang
  • 1 onion thinly sliced
  • 2-3 green chilli slit
  • 1 tsp turmeric / haldi
  • 1 tsp ginger - garlic paste
  • 1.5 cup methi leaves / fenugreek leaves 
  • 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
  • 1 cup frozen assorted veggies
  • 2 cups water
  • salt ( as per taste)

STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE FOR METHI PULAO/METHI RICE 

  • Heat ghee in a pan till hot
  • Add cumin seeds and let them splutter
  • Then add the chopped onions and stir till they become translucent 
  • Now add the ginger-garlic paste and stir till the raw smell of the paste goes away
  • To the above mixture, add the methi leaves till they shrink in size
  • Then add red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix
  • After a minute, add the semi cooked rice to the pan
  • Then add 1 cup of water to the pan and stir
  • Now add the frozen veggies and stir
  • Then add salt and garam masala (as per taste)
  • Stir well till the Methi Pulao/Methi Rice is cooked completely
  • You can then serve the Methi Pulao/Methi Rice with Curd/Raita

Methi Rice Methi Pulao Methi Rice Methi Pulao





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soya Chunks Broccoli Curry | Soya Chunks Curry Recipe | Indian Recipe

Soya Chunks  Broccoli Curry  | Soya Chunks Curry Recipe | Indian Recipe I attribute my varied palate to my Appa and Amma and no one else. Although South-Indian, growing up I was exposed to so many cuisines and I am not talking about, "just in restaurants". I am talking about "in Amma's kitchen". She wasn't just the Idli-Dosa kinda mom. She always ensured that she cooked up a different storm in the kitchen everyday and for that, I cannot be more thankful. Way before this whole "vegan" thing came into existence, she introduced me to Soya Chunks. We did eat non-veg at home but not everyday. That's when the humble Soya Chunks/ Soya Nuggets come to the rescue. The texture and taste (according to me) are nothing when compared to chicken but there is something about these nuggets that strike a chord with my palate.  Soya chunks especially when cooked in a curry form absorb water and spices. You take one bite and you realize ho...

A New Blogger

Well,my last blog was in 2008 and it might be a little stupid and a little immature.Blogging seems to be a fun hobby since it involves lot of writing which can range from total crappy to super interesting.I'm still thinking where I should start off and it will take me some time to come up with some topic I would actually LOVE talking bout! :) Till then TOODLES :D

Bhindi Recipe | Bhindi Fry | Bhindi Fry Recipe | Indian Recipe | Lady Finger

Okra/ Bhindi/ Ladies Finger happens to be one of my favourite green vegetables. I like devouring it in two particular forms only: The Bhindi fry made by my Amma and the other one in it's crispy, crunchy form. Yesterday, I decided to prepare the latter for a dear friend's birthday. It turned out alright-ish and was eaten as a starter and was also used as seasoning for the creamy mushroom pasta (Haha!). Here is the recipe for everyone's benefit. BHINDI FRY| BHINDI RECIPE | BHINDI FRY RECIPE |  INDIAN RECIPE Preparation Time: 15 minutes (Approx.) Cook Time: 15 minutes  (Approx.) Things you will need: 250g Okra/Bhindi/Lady Finger Chilli Powder Salt Cumin Powder Turmeric Powder Corn Flour/ Chickpea Flour Olive Oil Garam Masala/Chaat Masala Bowl Mustard Seeds Ginger-Garlic Paste Kitchen Towel/Paper Napkins Preparation Steps 1. Wash the Bhindi/Lady Finger under cold running water. Use a kitchen towel or paper napkins to pat them dry such that t...